European Comics, 5points for 3 stories

 I read one of the Mobius comics. I have vaguely heard of the artist; however, I never saw his work until now. His comic opened with worlds beyond imagination, feeling like we landed on a new planet. I would put these stories in the category of Syfy fantasy. The illustrations are beautiful; the images and the colors the artist chose reminds me of 80's rock posters. The colors are vibrant, and the atmosphere is whimsical. The reader had to use context clues to understand the world-building. And the first story had no dialogue, which made it feel otherworldly.  However, these stories have no text boxes or words to describe what is happening, so it is not easy to follow the plot. There are different stories within one world. When reading the small text about the background of the book, it said that it didn't fit into the comic book genre, it plunges the reader into an alien world, and it succeeds by the reader vaguely being able to figure out how it works. The other comic stories do have text; the second comic in it was the Detour. The Detour is very odd. However, it was like a regular family road trip through fantasy experiences, radiation picnics, and giants. I did not expect to see 4th wall references like the mention of the lutenist blueberry comic.  It felt like a fantasy mix with recognition of reality in the dialogue, so it was not very clear at first. 

I read the Silver Surfer. The  Silver surfer was my favorite hero growing up; however, I watched him on tv shows and cartoons. I had never read the comics. I am glad I finally go to read one of his comic series now. It was one of the famous comics where Galacticis comes to earth. Galacticis promises that to bring peace to the planet and humans. The humans then worship him overnight. I understand this is a comic, and there is a suspension of disbelief; however, everything happened quite fast. There was not much of a transition in time with the comics, and ironically there is more rioting and less peace after Galacticis comes. The comic was surprisingly more intense and had more emotion than I expected, making me want to read both issues. Even though it was by an EU artist, the style of this comic was very similar to the American comics. I have to see it was cool to see that Mobius could do one o the marvel comics with stan lee. They are both great authors and artists. 

 The last comic I read so far was Valarian and Luranine, the empire of a thousand planets, I had heard of these comics being very popular, and I had seen the movie that had come out in 2016. When starting to read it, it was already very different from the film. I liked how it introduced the world before the pair landed on it. And I don't usually see a couple of heroes be romantic partners already. the theme is very syfy adventure; however, there are still some comedic moments the two get into while in serious situations. I enjoyed the characters and the adventurous story, and I loved the worlds they landed on as well. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground Comics Movement the book, Rebel Visions: The Underground Comix Revolution (5 points)

The Killing Joke (2 points )

Manga week (9 points)